Local teachers awarded grant money through Maps Teacher Grant program
Maps Community Foundation awards $25,000 in teacher grants this year
SALEM, Ore. 13 Dec. 2022—Maps Community Foundation announces 25 grant awards to K-12 teachers from around the Mid-Willamette Valley. In total, the Foundation will award $25,000 in teacher grants this year. Grant awards are for classroom and schoolwide projects benefiting local students.
As noted in the foundation’s 2021-’24 strategic plan, “We invest time and resources into projects and programs that build upon Maps legacy of supporting education and promoting life-long learning to shape a healthy, thriving future for our Mid-Willamette Valley region.” The funds are part of the Foundation’s Education impact area, and this program is closely tied to the credit union’s roots as a teacher’s credit union.
Kim Hanson, Maps Community Foundation Executive Director says, “I look forward to our grant program every year. We get to recognize teachers — people who are doing meaningful work, making an incredible difference in our children’s lives every day. We are so inspired by the dedication of our local teachers.”
This year’s awardees are as follows:
- Zoriana Camp of Roberts Middle School.
- Teri Birkel of Englewood Elementary.
- Carter Alt of Houck Middle School.
- Tara Heikila of Leslie Middle School.
- Renee Lupien of South Salem High School.
- Maureen Foelkl of Queen of Peace School.
- Stacy Ryan of Liberty Elementary.
- Kelly Ridgeway of Kalapuya Elementary.
- Chris Weaver and Carli O’Brien of Straub Middle School.
- Brad Kilgroe of Whiteaker Middle School.
- Celine Carlton of Hallman Elementary School.
- Leah Laughton of Scotts Mills Elementary.
- Teresa Murphy of John F Kennedy High School.
- Penelope Freeburg of Falls City Elementary School.
- Lynn Bailey of Falls City High School.
- Clair Dietz of Lyle Elementary School.
- Lisa Iverson of Turner Elementary School.
- Hollie Carlile of Mari-Linn School.
- David Whetzel of Scott Elementary.
- Anna Smoll of Waldo Middle School.
- Susan Ellertson of Stephens Middle School.
- Hannah Austin of Swegle Elementary.
- Scott McGuyer of North Marion Middle School.
- Maribel Ortiz of Lincoln Elementary.
- Erich VanBergen of Woodburn Success High School.
For more information or a description of what each teacher will do with the award, see winner details at www.mapscu.com/community-involvement/teacher-grants.